Executive decision made
I hadn’t heard from any doctor by lunch time — not a “you’re due in the operating room by 7 a.m.,” not a “we finally had that two-doctor consult we were planning and decided you don’t need the surgery after all,” not a word.
So I called them and cancelled. Naturally you don’t get to talk with the doctor, so I did my best to be nice to the scheduler. I said I felt pushed and rushed and for her to let the surgeon know my highest priority is getting my back taken care of. I told her to tell the doctor that having brain surgery right now could interfere with that. I told her to tell him I was disappointed not to have heard from him on the follow-up he was supposed to do with the gamma knife people who recommended a scan before surgery. And I told her to tell him I want a scan scheduled.
I don’t know how much of that message will get passed along, but it felt good to say it all. I will be responsible to follow up with that scan, but I will do it with the regular radiation oncologist. If he feels I need a referral back to this surgeon, then that’s fine.
You know, at this point every decision I make about this stuff could end up being the stupidest decision ever. Oh well! I’m confident of where I’m going, so I’m just going to relax and do what is right.